Saturday, October 1, 2016

CAS Mix Up October Challenge: Ghosting


CAS Mix Up is celebrating October with CAS Mix Up Ghosting Techniques.  There are so many different Ghosting techniques.  I will be sharing a few videos with you at the end of my description.


I used Stamping + Ghosting with rubbing alcohol on Alcohol Ink Background + Stenciling and Die cuts

My image was the result of Stenciling with Alcohol Ink that did not turn out.  Never give up on AI backgrounds.  I just squirt on some 91% rubbing alcohol and moved the ink colors around with a coffee stirrer.  It gave me a pretty pinkish marbled background.  

I replaced my TCW "Flower Frenzy" Stencil over my dried piece.  Then I used Q-tips and rubbing alcohol to "Lift Color" from the flowers to get my Ghosting effect.  Can you see 5 flowers in the background?  I added NUVO Crystal Drops to 3 of them...that is a hint!

I used my MISTI to stamp with Archival Jet Black Ink my STAMPlorations "Winged Things" dragonfly and masked Fond Expressions 2 "Smile".  You must use Archival Ink on Yupo paper or it will smear.  Even using Archival Inks you have to make sure it is dry, so I always blot carefully.  You can use a heat tool if you do not hold too close and are very careful not to overheat as the paper will warp.  I used my SU heat tool because it has a low and high setting.  

I finished my piece with a 2nd die cut framing layer using my CUTplorations Crazy Double Running Stitch Rectangle Nesting Die and gave my dragonfly a trail :-)

Hope you can join us for this fun CAS Mix UP October Challenge.  You have until October 24th to play along.  You will LOVE all the creative and different Ghosting techniques by our talented Design Team and our very talented October Guest Designer Mac Mable (The Sweetest of Peas).
Enjoy and thank you for visiting and especially for your comments.  Hugs.....


Ghosting Technique by Loll Thompson (4:28)
Water Stamping (Ghosting) by Shery Russ (4:05)
Versamark Ghosting Technique by Seasons of Stamping (4:15)


19 comments:

  1. This is so artsy Nancy. I LOVE the effect of using rubbing alcohol with Q-Tips to remove some of the colour. So clever and creative, my friend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy, if this is a failed background, I need to learn to do this! Your wonky stitched dies used for framing look fabulous! You do some of the neatest techniques!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty card. The background is amazing and such a clever technique with the AI and the Q tips. Thank you so much for the wonderful inspiration and thank you for my guest designer opportunity....I had fun! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Q-tips and alcohol! That's the trick! Now maybe I can get a ghosted background somewhat as beautiful as this on my AI backgrounds! Love that pink background and that's another awesome stencil, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea to use q-tips! I used my Tim Holtz applicator and felt square on mine and it was hard work. I'm going to try q-tips next time! Love the colours and the stitched borders!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! I love the delicate and so very detailed marbling on your card. I have again accurately read the description of how you did it, because I have to try it sometime. I love your card.
    hugs,
    BozenA

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful ghosted background, Nancy! I love how the Nuvo crystal drops help define the flowers. And of course, I love that dragonfly ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely background using the ghosting technique Nancy! so pretty in red - I can't wait to try this for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty. If that was "the result of stenciling with alcohol ink that did not turn out", then you have very high standards. I love how you salvaged it. It is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Nancy... Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving such lovely comments! I love your beautiful backgrounds ... I am also following you and look forward to seeing more of your beautiful work ... Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think this is gorgeous mf...love the effect and I appreciate you explaining how you created this beauty.
    hugs,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nancy, I think this background is amazing! Love the ghost flowers and the stitched dies and the fabulous pop of black. I just got some of those Nuvo Crystals. So sad that Memories is closing, isn't it? I could cry!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful background! Thankyou for the detailed how-to. I wonder if I still have my alcohol inks .... Ger x

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi nancy, thanks so much for popping by and commenting! i love this bright pink card and it sounds like you had fun with the ghosting technique, something i've not yet tried.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have done a really beautiful job on the ghosting technique, Nancy! I love the bold pink with your sweet dragonfly, and the wonky stitched borders are the perfect touch! Great idea to use the coffee stirrer, too...Thanks for sharing your process with us!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great card Nancy, loving the pink of course and that ghosting looks amazing too ;) Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. So pretty. Love that pretty pink background with the ghost blooms and the dragonfly and sentiment is perfect stamped in the black.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I rarely give up on my backgrounds... or cards for that matter. But sometimes I think I should (but that's a different story).
    Such pretty colours. Love your stark black stamping. X

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, Nancy, this is gorgeous, and I love this color! Wow, the ghost flowers are gorgeous, and I love that you've added Nuvo drops on them. I've been eyeing these and may be ready to purchase some. And what a perfect addition of the dragonfly and "smile!" I love the framing with the double running stitch dies...just love the look of these meandering stitches, and it's truly a classy card, my friend! Beautifully done, and you've really excelled with mixed media! Amazing! Hugs! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and leaving your much appreciated comments! Hugs....Nancy